Friday, August 10, 2012

The Reading Life

DSCF7393

A bit of what we've been reading:

Hypatia recommends Four Feet, Two Sandals, a touching story of friendship formed in a refuge camp.  She has also really enjoyed both the picture book and the accompanying CD of Pete Seeger's Abiyoyo.  

Carbon is independently re-reading the first book in The Warriors series, and recommends that as the best book he's read recently.

In the car we have just finished listening to The Shadows, which I thought was a good suspenseful sort of "horror-lite" for kids, with a story about an old enchanted house where you can climb into the pictures on the wall ... except that something is watching and perhaps the people in the pictures weren't always made of paint ....

Now we are listening to Fablehaven, which is driving me nuts because I just want to grab one of the main characters and give him a good shake!  I have to grit my teeth and bite my tongue as we drive along.

I have been reading French Kids Eat Everything, which was OK but not great, and Marriage and Other Acts of Charity which was just what I needed recently.  It was what I needed not because my marriage is in need of extra charity right now, but because I love the author, Kate Braestrup, and her simple and profound philosophy that the point of life is to Love, that God is Love, and that when in doubt, Love More, is a balm to my soul.

Now I'm reading The Alchemist, which is a magical story that reminds me of The Little Prince in style.  I'm not sure if I like it or not, but I'm fascinated by it, so that is something in a novel anyway.

And that's what we've been reading. :)

1 comment:

  1. Abiyoyo! OK, I'm really showing my age here, but my dad had an 8-track tape of Pete Seeger's greatest hits, and Abiyoyo was my favorite!

    Off to find a copy of the book and CD for my kiddos...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete