Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Reading Life

It's been a long time since I wrote a post about what I've been reading.  It's been a great reading month, much of it done while on vacation (I love vacation reading).

I took a nice nerdy pile of books on vacation with me:

Congregational Leadership in Anxious Times by Peter Steinke.

This book lays out the fact that anxiety is normal, and the need for steady leadership through anxious times.  It is practical, but deeply grounded in clear principles of theology and psychology.

The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander

The UU Common Read for next year, this book was eye-opening, shocking, even enraging.  It made me mad at the system, sad about all the injustice, and convinced we need to move away from the paradigm of punitive justice and toward a more compassionate society.

Christianity: A Very Short Introduction

A publication of Oxford University Press, this is part of the "A Very Short Introduction" series - a series I had not been aware of before but now I would love to collect.  This one was clear, concise, and fun to read.  The other titles in the series cover seemingly every sort of topic - I could really get into this.

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

The only novel I've read recently, this book started off slowly, ended a bit anti-climactically - and moved me profoundly none-the-less.  It did what I think stories do best, asking a big question, making you think, and not answering all those questions.  But, from the other reviews online, people either love or dislike this book, and I can see why.  I loved it, but could still see the deep flaws in the plot and writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment