Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Snow Days for Homeschoolers

DSCF8214

Yesterday was a sick and snow day here.  Sick for me.  Snow for the kids.

One thing about growing up homeschooled was that I never got sick or snow days as a child.  There was always something I could be doing, and no day needed to be totally wasted.  I remember lying in bed and doing math, or if I was really really sick my mom would resort to educational movies.  My experience of Shakespeare's plays was heavily tinged with fever from one particularly sick week when she had me watch all the recorded performances of all the plays I had already read.

My own kids complain now that they don't get sick days, or snow days.  It's not that I work them into the ground - I think it's just that the idea of a Snow Day as a day of freedom is so appealing.  My kids have days of freedom all the time, so there's really no need for it to be weather dependent.

But yesterday I let them have it.  I was sick, sick enough to just want to lie on the sofa and read to myself, and there was snow to play with outdoors.  The forecast wasn't good for it sticking around, so why not seize the fun while they could?

Today is shaping up to be a repeat, as I'm still feeling awful.  But today I think they'll do their schoolwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment