Friday, April 20, 2012

The Reading Life

DSCF6542

We had a little burst this week of reading Jeanette Winter's books.  I had originally borrowed all three of these from the library for Women's History Month.  Um, yeah - that was March.  But better late than never!

Here we explored three very different women: Hildegard von Bingen, Alia Muhammad Baker, and Emily Dickinson.    All three women followed their hearts, and took paths that were unexpected, and it's always good for my children to learn of women following non-stereotypical paths.

In fact, a week ago when we were doing our history lesson and learning about Muhammad, Hypatia stopped me and asked "why are all these people, like Jesus and Buddha and Muhammad, all men?"

I'm glad she noticed, and we had a very good conversation to answer her question.  And I'm also glad that there are picture books like these that can also open their minds to questions like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment