Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday - bittersweetness

Today I arrived at church at 7:30, and began to set up the classrooms. Our RE space is far from ideal - that's why the church is building a new wing. I have to do a lot of rearranging and moving of heavy furniture to achieve a workable arrangement.

We've been working on this building project for years. I've had So Many Meetings about the floorplans, the lighting fixtures, the windows, the everything. So many people have put so much of their time, energy, money, hopes and dreams into new space, and it's almost done.

We just found out that we have to vacate our classrooms for 4-6 weeks because of the construction, and that means no RE for the next month. That is huge.

But after so many years, another 6 weeks of incovenience is a small hurdle to jump - so I hope everyone will be patient.

What is the bittersweet that I refer to in the title of this post? Well, it actually makes me kind of sad to look at all these things that I have been working on and with for so long, and to realize they are about to be moved out or torn down. Sure, the next space should be better. But I loved this space - even though it sucked in a lot of ways. I put a lot of myself into this space. And we are about to move out of it.

Good. Sad. Incovenient. Hopeful.

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel... a place may not be ideal, but it still feels like "home". We can say good-bye, and grieve for it.

    And then come back to new life, new classrooms, and a new experience. A sort of resurrection experience!

    ReplyDelete