Saturday, January 16, 2010

In Honor of MLK Day

I get "saturday nerves" sometimes, worrying all day about Sunday, and whether my plans and bits are all going to go well. Today I am worrying about the Chapel I am doing tomorrow with the kids, in honor of MLK.

I have two resources I am using:

1. Happy Birthday Martin Luther King, Jr. is a simple biography I will read to the kids

2. King For Kids is a CD with some of his best speeches remixed with some music

And I've worked out a script, which is fairly simple. But I'm still nervous! I guess I (and my family) are just going to have live with the Saturday Nerves as a job hazard ...

Oh, and in case you are interested, here's my script:

MLK Day Children’s Chapel
1. Welcome and Opening Words:
Let our love shine forth
From this sacred place
That others may know
That here they will find freedom,
Acceptance, community, and love.
--Dorothy May Emerson

2. Chalice Lighting and Joys and Sorrows


3. Song: This Little Light of Mine


4. Offering, with words by MLK from King for Kids



5. Story – Happy Birthday Martin Luther King

6. Meditation –

Wouldn’t it be great if we walked around surrounded by our souls, so that they were the first things people saw
Instead of the last things?
Then people would judge us by who we really are
Instead of how we look.
There would be no more thinking certain things about people
Because of the color of their skin or how tall they are
Or how much they weigh or how old they are.
Then people would work at making their souls more attractive
Instead of their bodies and faces.

Imagine people knowing by your soul that you really need a hug.
Imagine people helping each other and their souls changing colors or even glowing.
--Tess Baumberger, adapted

7. Song – We’re Gonna Sit at the Welcome Table

8. Closing and dismiss to classes

No comments:

Post a Comment