Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Reading and Writing in the Content Areas

narration exercise book

It's funny how easy it is to forget what you know, and fall into habits of convenience or habit. I know that reading and writing can, and should, be integrated into content area learning. In other words, you should be learning to read and write in a real context, usually as you learn something like history or science.

But, despite knowing that, I've fallen into the habit of only using primers and workbook pages with Carbon, because that was what was sitting there in front of us. Luckily the book Every Child Can Write reminded me of the truth I already knew.

Now we have a "Narration Notebook" for Carbon to use with his other lessons. He selects whatever he wants to write about from the lesson he's just had read to him, and he draws a picture and then writes at least one sentence. I'm helping him spell words, but having him give a stab at it before I automatically spell it out for him.

This is so much better than racing from a history lesson to a random handwriting workbook page to a random Bob Book. Why was I doing that?

No comments:

Post a Comment