Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Quick update on Buy Nothing Month

It's only the 5th day of this challenge, and here's what happened so far:

  • OK - I'm not going to go without espresso. There are important rituals in my life that involve drinking a mocha, and that will continue.
  • Carbon bought something. It wasn't big (a $3.00 bouncy ball with a skull and crossbones on it), and he did have the money from Christmas, and it was his choice.
  • My husband "accidentally" bought a book on his Kindle. Apparently he couldn't tell that he had moved from "free preview" to "purchase".

But there have been times I felt the urge to buy and didn't:

  • Hypatia ripped two pairs of tights, and I wanted to buy her some more. Instead, we will do the wash faster and get creative about wearing pants under her dresses.
  • I watched Julie and Julia and I really wanted to order Julia Child's cookbook. But I didn't.
  • When I took Carbon to see Peter Pan, I strongly felt the urge to buy him a toy in the gift shop. He bought that bouncy ball, but I resisted buying anything else.
  • I had a work meeting in a cafe adjoined to a fair trade shop today, and I felt the urge to purchase something - anything - from the shop while I was there. We briefly browsed, but bought nothing.

Five days down, 25 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment