Wednesday, December 16, 2009

when they have plenty of free time ...

I've been feeling under the weather for two days, so we haven't done a lot of lessons. When I've emerged from my fog, these are the things I've seen the kids doing:

beloved toy

digging a pool under the gutter

young explorer

Is there educational value to the activities they filled their free time with? It's hard to quantify that. But I'm positive that there was some sort of value to these activities, that in fact it was very good for the kids to have this free time to fill. They had to think of their own activities, follow-through on their own ideas, and entertain themselves. In our over-scheduled and outwardly controlled lives, too many children don't know how to entertain themselves, and perhaps the antidote to that is more free time.

1 comment: