Friday, December 18, 2009

3 quotes from today's reading practice

Our craving for identity is a burden. We feel that we can only be happy if we are "worthy" and "valuable". We compile mental lists of of our good points and bad points and constantly monitor our performance. We demand that we be different from how we see ourselves. Not many people would want to admit that their aim in life is to create a positive self-image, it's like saying "I invest most of my energy in trying to feel really proud of myself".

--Sarah Napthali, in buddhism for mothers

With a transcendent ego, we become more aware of our broader dimensions, better prepared to decide realistically when, where, and why to express the essence of who we are. In becoming more conscious of the full range of our thoughts and feelings, we inevitably become less threatened by the knowledge of our flaws and can more readily integrate and appreciate the whole of we are - the good and the bad.

M. Scott Peck, MD, in The Road Less Traveled and Beyond

The key is to fail gracefully, in a quest that truly matters, and in such a way that others feel better about their own failures. The secret is to return from this quest blessed with new eyes to glimpse the divine amid the ordinary and new ears to hear the still, small voice. Then sight becomes miracle, and hearing too. No further proof is necessary.

Forrest Church, in Lifecraft



Every day that I can, I read and journal, copying down quotes and my own thoughts. This is my second spiritual practice, as yoga engages my body and focus, while this engages my mind. And frequently, I find just what I needed to find in my readings, like I did today.

No comments:

Post a Comment