Monday, December 14, 2009

Gift giving and my holiday To Do list

What kind of gift-giver are you? Or do you have several styles, depending?

My gift-giving seems to fall into a few categories:

  1. Something homemade, because I could make it, and not necessarily because it's the perfect thing for the person.
  2. I happened to see something that just screamed a person's name, it was so perfect for them, and I bought it.
  3. I got something practical that I knew the person needed but probably wouldn't buy for themselves.

This means that my husband just got socks and long-underwear from me for his birthday today. That sounds like a crappy gift, but I know he needs them and I know that he doesn't like to shop for clothes. If I just get stuff for him, he doesn't have to worry about having stuff to wear.

He gave me a laptop cooling pad for Christmas, and he gave it to me early because my laptop kept overheating. I wouldn't have thought of buying that for myself, so it was nice of him to do the shopping for me.

And here is my holiday To Do List, in italics if it's done

  • Christmas cards
  • mail packages
  • mail portraits to grandparents
  • decorate the house
  • Help Carbon make gifts for his sister and dad
  • Help Hypatia make gifts for her brother and dad
  • Make gifts for Carbon, Hypatia, and their dad
  • Make my Christmas stocking
  • Shop for my dad, my siblings, my MIL, my FIL, my SIL
  • Get stocking stuffers for all the stockings
  • Make an advent calendar
  • Get candles for our Yule Log
  • Cookie exchange with my Mom
  • Make a gingerbread house with the kids
  • Gifts and tips for our nanny, my favorite barristas, our mailman, and my coworkers

2 comments:

  1. You are ahead of me! We decorated the tree over the weekend, but I haven't mailed anything (including Christmas cards.)

    Fortunately our friends had a cookie party so I can cross "cookies" and "gingerbread houses" off the list!

    As for gifts...The kids' stuff is bought and hidden. I hate shopping for other adults (and I don't know how to make anything except food.) Unfortunately, I often fall into the "they are probably going to spend x amount on me, so I'd better find a comparable gift" trap. My side of the family draws names and I like that a lot better!

    Merry Christmas! Sparklee

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best, best, best thing is when something handmade IS something that screams a person's name and is something they need. It doesn't happen often, but it's so great when it does. This year I had to admit that the adults in my family don't really like handmade. My compromise is "local and perishable": foods, really. But that's fine. Grown-ups can buy what they want and need, I'll focus my handmade energies on my kids and people who clearly appreciate it. I'm excited to see what you've been up to!

    ReplyDelete