Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sunday - fun times at church

preparing for winter solstice

Today there was the fun I had planned on, that I came in and set up and led myself, which was a Fire Dance for the Winter Solstice using red ribbons for the "fire". Kids simply love to play with ribbons, and folks who aren't comfortable dancing can still have fun waving a ribbon around. Even my 4th and 5th grade boys (who can be way too cool for dancing), were doing this today.

games kit

And then there was fun I wasn't expecting today. I put this "games kit" together about a year ago, with a binder to keep game ideas and directions in and the basic materials you need for most games: a sheet, some different balls, bean bags, orange cones, a long jumprope, and blindfolds. My idea was to have it on hand for times when we didn't have a good lesson plan or we needed to fill time, but since I put it together it has only been used as a "going to a picnic" type thing where I take the box to church events and just let the kids play with the balls.

Today one of my middle school OWL facilitators came up to me before class and said that she thought the session would run short, and did I have any games they could play? And then she browsed the book and found some games for them - which they did and loved! I was so thrilled that the box finally got used!

I love hearing laughter and seeing the kids leave with big smiles on their faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment