Friday, December 4, 2009

Breakfast is Art Time

self portraits

The best time for me to have me kids do art is first thing in the morning. I have realized this after many years of resisting "making the mess" and seeing a day go by without it ever being convenient to stop and do an art project.

If I plan on Breakfast being Art Time, I can set up all the supplies and the space the night before, while my kids are asleep. If it will be messy, I can put down plastic dropcloths and tablecloths. It's all set up and ready in the morning when the kids get up, and it lures them right up to the table before they even get dressed.

I can make them breakfast while they get started, and they can munch on their food while they continue working on the art. And then we can all clean up and they can go get dressed, and no matter how busy the rest of the day gets, Art happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment