Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Picture Book Post - Elsa Beskow


Elsa Beskow is a swedish author of picture books, many about fairies. I see her books in Waldorf stores and catalogs, and on lists of recommended books for seasonal book baskets. And I know people who really love these books.


I just don't quite get them, myself. The illustrations are lovely, yes. And perhaps the prose feels odd to me because it is translated - maybe something is lost in translation. But the plot lines feel like they amble without a point, and then characters act in ways that don't make sense to me. I just feel like I'm missing something.


But Hypatia likes the Beskow books we've read so far, so I'll keep checking them out and scratching my head in mild bemusement. Am I the only one that doesn't get it?


So far we've read The Sun Egg and Woody, Hazel, and Little Pip


No comments:

Post a Comment