Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Reading Life

DSCF5791

We're still loving picture books, and have found some more good ones.

Poindexter Makes a Friend is a sweet story about a shy pig who loves to play with stuffed animals and read books (my kids love to play with stuffed animals and read books, so they could relate), and how he finally makes a friend.

Beauty and the Squat Bears is a graphic novel, so it's automatically not my cup of tea, but Hypatia got her dad to read it to her and she enjoyed this mixed up fairy tale. I just can't learn to enjoy reading comic book style writing, and the speech bubbles really distract me.

A House in the Woods starts off with two little pigs who have made little houses for themselves in the woods, but then their houses are accidentally destroyed by Bear and Moose - so the four of them decide to build a home they can all share.

We've read The Giraffe that Walked to Paris again, this time paying attention to the vocabulary words in it that Hypatia didn't already know.

And How Rocket Learned to Read is a sweet story of a puppy learning to read from a bird. I was slightly bothered by the issue of how a little bird was able to carry all those books around (the books were as big as the bird, and there were a whole pile of them), but those nit-picky adult concerns didn't bother the kids.

We also love audiobooks here, and this week it's been:

A Wrinkle in Time, which I'm enjoying just as much as the kids.

Clementine, a story of a spunky girl, so of course Hypatia liked it.

Judy Moody Around the World in 8 1/2 Days, the second Judy Moody book Hypatia has listened to. Another spunky girl character!

The Penderwicks on Gardham Street (again). Hypatia likes to chew through audiobooks and then move on to a new one, but Carbon will get into a groove and want to listen to the same story over and over again. Recently his obsession has been with the Penderwick books.

The Cricket in Times Square didn't appeal to either kid, but I just put it on anyway, and they ended up adoring it. The story of a cricket who learns to play opera was the big hit of the week, actually.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sara, I don't know why I am having so many issues with blogger and comments! I decided to give that menu site a try and would love to link up to your recipes. I can't find your email! If you are interested, could you PM through my page? I am also listed as plaidshoes at the recipe site.

    ReplyDelete