Friday, January 20, 2012

30 Days of Love, Day Five

Description: “Coming Out” about our own struggles and challenges is an act of Courageous Love. Consider the broader definition of “coming out.” By sharing our vulnerabilities and our authentic selves—whether or not what we are disclosing is identity-based—we can help others on their own path. Sharing something personal to help others is so brave, and receiving that story is a special gift.

To do: Today, share something that might help or inspire others.


I didn't think I was going to be able to post today, because our electricity has been out since yesterday morning, and our internet went out midday yesterday. We have been counting our blessings that we have a gas stove and fireplace and a back-up generator that can run part of the house (including the all-important well pump that makes our running water).

It's been part fun break from normal life, part family-bonding experience, part hair-pulling frustration, and part lesson in survival and preparedness.

But now the power and internet are back, and I'm back on this blog. The prompt today leaves me a bit perplexed, though. The story that was shared on the Standing on the Side of Love blog is very inspiring, but I have already shared my struggles with depression, so I don't feel like I have anything new to "come out" about.

I know the power of hearing that others have confronted the same things you have. It can be incredibly helpful to know that you are not alone in this. When I miscarried my first pregnancy at four months, I was amazed at how many women confided to me quietly their own stories of miscarriage and loss. In a world in which 1 in 5 pregnancies end in miscarriage, this is a common tragedy, a common sadness, and yet we don't talk about it. People suffer in silence, not telling anyone. And I was told by many that it wasn't anything to be sad about. "It's not like it was really a baby yet". But my sorrow was real. It was real to me. And it helped to hear how other women had felt this loss.

So I applaud the sharing. Today all I have to share is this, a day spent entertaining my children with odds and ends and (little) electricity:



DSCF5892

DSCF5889

DSCF5897

DSCF5898

No comments:

Post a Comment