Thursday, January 5, 2012

Real Food This Week

One of my New Year's resolutions is to focus more on "Real Food". By that I mean food that is local, organic, in season, nutritious, frugal, within budget, sustainable, gluten-free, and delicious. Easy, right?

This week it's been:

Monday I noticed I had half a tub of organic cottage cheese still in the fridge, so I made gluten-free Cottage Cheese Dill bread in my bread machine. It was ready by lunch time, so we had fresh warm bread and butter and a sliced apple and cheese slices for lunch. Then for dinner I used two of the squash I still have on my window sill from our CSA last year, and made a pureed squash soup, which was served with more of the bread and yogurt and toasted sunflower seeds to stir in.

Tuesday we had cereal for breakfast, and warmed up last week's leftovers (enchiladas and potato salad) at church for our lunch. For dinner I used the last of the bread as topping on a gluten-free macaroni and cheese.

Wednesday I made gluten-free pancakes for breakfast, and the kids had peanut butter and jelly (homemade blackberry jam, but store-bought bread) sandwiches for lunch. I was out running around, so I treated myself to a bowl of pho at a restaurant for lunch. For dinner I made a very interesting soup, "Native American Three Sisters Stew" for dinner.

Thursday has so far been scrambled eggs (from our own chickens) for breakfast and leftover macaroni and cheese for lunch. It will be leftover soup for dinner.

A really great tool for organizing recipes and planning meals is plantoeat.com I was impressed enough to pay the money for a membership, and I'm not sorry I did. You can try it out with a free trial membership - and if anyone joins and wants to be my friend on the site we can share recipes and menu plans!

I got the two soup recipes this week from this wonderful magazine:

DSCF5756

Native American Three Sisters Stew (as I made it, not as the recipe called for):

10 dried pitted prunes
1 small red onion
6 cloves of garlic
a large dash of oregano
1 green bell pepper
1 can of diced tomatoes
2 small yellow finn potatoes
1 sweet potato
3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1. Soak the prunes in water for at least two hours. Reserve the liquid and chop the fruit.

2. Heat oil in a soup pot, and saute the diced onion and garlic. Add diced bell pepper, oregano, and tomatoes with their juice. Cook two minutes.

3. Add the potatoes and sweet potato, and the reserved fruit liquid. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or so.

4. Add corn and diced fruit, and beans. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes more.

The prune broth makes for a sweet soup, but not cloyingly so.

1 comment:

  1. I will check that site out. I have a similar food goal, but am floundering with the planning - mostly b/c I eat vegan at home and husband is a meat eater! Usually we end up with two main dishes and lots of wasted food :(

    ReplyDelete