Saturday, June 25, 2011

Saturday Morning book post

Another week, another book post. I am in a spot where I don't have very many books to talk about myself, because I've picked up about five and read the first five pages but not decided which one I will actually read. And I'm still trying to finish up that Models of Religious Education text book. Hopefully soon I'll actually get going on a book that I can tell you all about!

For the kids, I got The Daring Book for Girls from the library. Carbon, based on his enjoyment of The Dangerous Book for Boys, was super excited and tried to get Hypatia interested. She was 100% not interested. But at least by just checking it out it showed Carbon that there could be exciting things out there for girls also.

Both kids are reading out loud to me now. Hypatia just decided she could read, and is working her way through the Bob Books Set One. With repetition and some help, she really can read them, and she is clearly going to be one of those kids who doesn't really use any method (no phonics for this child) but just somehow starts reading. She's determined and what ever help I do give her has to be really subtle so she still feels like she's doing it herself.

Carbon - my logical systems phonics boy, who stops and argues about spellings, hates silent k's, and would like to redesign the english language - is also reading out loud. He's graduated from those silly Bob Books to "real" books:



10 Apples Up on Top by Dr. Seuss

The great thing about this stage of reading is that our local library has a whole section of these easy readers, so he can choose his own books and there are lots of them. There are some book series that are really good - we all like Henry and Mudge, Nate the Great, Frog and Toad, and Amelia Bedelia. I look forward to finding some other good ones that are new to me.

Hypatia is picking them up too - she REALLY wants to be reading. After he reads a book, she takes it from him and carries it around the house, "reading" it by repeating what she just heard him read.

Our audiobook in the car this week is the fourth in the Percy Jackson series: The Battle of the Labyrinth. I think this series is actually getting better with each book, or possibly I just like all the characters more as they develop and have their adventures.

Well, that's about all the time I have for books today ... I've got to go tidy up and get ready to have a BBQ here today. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment