Friday, June 17, 2011

It's like an episode of hoarders ...

IMG_0181

Well, not really. Actually, I've never seen an episode of hoarders, so I can't say with any authority at all!

This week, besides starting homeschooling with the kids, I also had the big project at work of cleaning up and sorting all the Stuff. Being a DRE requires some diverse skill-sets (cooking for large groups on a small budget, public speaking, staying awake all night with teens, putting on good parties, quieting crying babies, supervising teen childcare workers, writing curricula, etc), but one of the biggies is Managing Supplies. There's the materials lists for all the upcoming lessons, and bizarre shopping lists. For instance, I once had to make an emergency Saturday night shopping trip when I realized the lesson plan called for 6 CUPS - yes, CUPS - of cinnamon.

There is also the donation management. Folks donate all sorts of stuff to me - and I'm glad they do! It's lovely to get a box of craft items or a pile of scrapbook paper. But unless I am going to use it right away, I have to store it. And then I have to remember I have it when there is a chance to use it.

There's been a whole year of me shopping, folks donating, classes using, and people moving - STUFF. So this week I cleaned out EVERY CLOSET. EVERY CABINET. EVERY BOX. And then I put it all down in my office! Ack - at that point I was ready to just throw my hands up in the air and give up. But now it's all better. With just one trash bag thrown out and two boxes taken to the Goodwill, all is now sorted, labeled (I bought myself a new label maker, which made this whole chore more fun), and put back away. I know what I have, I know where it is, and I'm ready for next year's classes to call for whatever they call for in their materials lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment