Saturday, June 4, 2011

Saturday Morning book post

Many bloggers do a Saturday Morning Book Post, which is actually a good idea because Saturday morning is a quiet time around here, usually. So maybe I'll try to start a new routine with my book postings. Maybe. I've jumped on many blogging band-wagons over the years, and then drifted back to a "post whenever I feel like it" format over and over again.

But here's today's book post:

Hypatia has really enjoyed the picture book Ponyella this week, which is a retelling of the Cinderella story but with ponies and it's the young princess who is searching for that one perfect pony. We also finished reading Flat Stanley's World Wide Adventures: The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery, which I thought was light on Egyptian content but she enjoyed quite a bit. I think the Magic Treehouse books do a better job sticking core knowledge into a storyline, but there's no reason we can't read both.

At the local bookstore I found a used copy of The Complete Flower Fairies Collection by Cicely Mary Barker, so we've also been reading a few flower fairy poems a day. I love how well the flowers are illustrated, so the kids and I can also work on our ability to identify flowers.

After seeing it on another blog, I checked out The Bumper Book of Nature, which I thought would be fun but so far has not interested either child much. I'll keep strewing it in their path and hope they pick it up. We also got The Dangerous Book for Boys, and that has been a big hit with Carbon. I tried it for him a year or so ago and he had no interest, but now he's at just the right developmental point for all the projects and little fun entries. The informational entries (the 7 Modern Wonders of the World, Great Battles of History, stuff like that) remind me of how much fun I used to have just reading the encyclopedia. Modern online encyclopedias don't have that same browsing potential, to just flip through until a picture catches your eye.

He is also in love with the Warriors series, and we just finished reading the first book, Into the Wild. He bought the second book with his own money - a sure sign of love since we are normally a library family.

In the car we're listening to The Dark is Rising. It's a book with long and sometimes confusing story arcs, so I don't find it ideal for short car trips around town, but we're making do.

For my own reading, I just devoured a silly fluffy escapist book which I'm almost too embarrassed to link to, but I will anyway. (Eat, Prey, Love) A little escapism is fun and a nice break from Big Thoughts. I also quickly read another self-help book, Live More, Want Less. And I am studiously beginning my studies for my religious educators credential, with Models of Religious Education. I've made it through the Historical Prototype so far and am now reading about the Classical Liberal Model. Fun stuff. :)

In non-book media, we finally saw the latest Harry Potter movie on DVD, so now Carbon is drawing the symbol of the Deathly Hallows on everything.

Have a great Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment