Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Imbolc, and new family traditions

Imbolc night

It was wonderfully simple, but that made it even better. Last night the kids and I celebrated our first Imbolc together as a family. I made a soup, using as much of our own homegrown food as possible - potatoes and carrots in cold storage in our garage, parsley from the kitchen window, eggs from our chickens. Eggs especially, as they symbolize rebirth and spring. We also had a bread from our bakery share.

We set the table and lit candles, and brought out the Brigid's Cross we had made from pipecleaners. Any time you eat by candlelight is a special time.

I read Brigid's Cloak to the kids, which is about the Christianized Saint Brigid, but is still lovely. And then the kids made a "bride's bed" - which I was going to do in a little basket but which they wanted to do with their own pillows and and a sleeping bag - and decided on their own to leave some bread out for the goddess. We then watched Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves together.

Easy, peasy, and lovely.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds lovely! Both my kids were sick and I didn't pull together a celebration for us this year but I love Imbolc/Candlemas

    ReplyDelete