Saturday, November 26, 2011

Weekend Books, etc.

A week in our life, in media use:

I'm reading:

My husband gave me an early Christmas present, because of all my whining about how heavy A Dance with Dragons is in hardcover, and my general iPad envy. No - not an iPad. That's still too pricey, when I have a perfectly good iPhone and MacBook. No, he's been a citizen of AmazonLand for awhile now, and he likes it there. So he got me a Kindle Fire, the latest from Amazon and their version of a tablet. It's pretty darn awesome - I immediately bought Dance with Dragons and I can also get magazine subscriptions on there, and they would be in full color. But I can also go on the internet with a wifi connection, and download movies, music, and apps on to it. So I'm enjoying it a great deal!

reading aloud:

One of Hypatia's friends was reading the Rainbow Magic Fairies series, so when Hypatia saw them at the library she was excited to try them herself. We've been reading Harriet the Hamster Fairy this week, and although I find it incredibly silly she is enjoying it. I doubt I'll want to read anymore out loud, however - these can wait until she breaks into independent reading.

We're still reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to Carbon. It's slow going with such a hefty book.

listening to:

We got another Book of Umber: Happenstance Found from the library this week, on audio CD, and Carbon basically disappeared from family life for a day until he'd listened to the whole thing. He carried around his walkman and headphones, and was only barely restrained from even listening at the dinner table.

And Hypatia's theater class is all learning the song My Favorite Things, so I'm playing (by a loose definition of the word "playing") that on the piano and singing it with her, and I got it on my iPod so she can listen to it over, and over, and over, and over .... but we still like the song!



We watched:

Connected to the theater tickets I've bought this year, we got both Young Frankenstein and Monty Python and the Holy Grail from netflix. My husband and I watched Young Frankenstein - I'd never seen it and he thought I should see it before we go see the Broadway version. I have to say, I didn't love it that much. We'll see how I like the live performance.

We all watched the Monty Python together. Carbon loved it, although we had to explain quite a bit of it. Hypatia liked some parts - the Knights who Say Ni has been a favorite game of theirs for the last few days - but she was disturbed by some of the fake blood spraying bits (and the rabbit attacking Knights was totally uncool with her).


No comments:

Post a Comment