Saturday, November 12, 2011

Weekend Links

Boy, my life is busy, and I don't much like it this way. Go, go, go, go, go! But here I have a couple precious hours at home on a Saturday, between work hours, and here are my weekend links.

I'm reading: When Youth Lead: A Guide to Intergenerational Social Justice Ministry by Jill M. Schwendeman.

I WISH I was reading (if I had time, precious time!): A Dance with Dragons. I enjoyed the first four books over the summer, and I really wish I had time to read the 5th in the series.

Carbon and Hypatia's read alouds are still the same as last week (No News is Good News and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince)

The kids enjoyed watching The Super Hero Squad Show from netflix this week, and it spawned some new interests. So we headed down to our local comic book shop and Hypatia bought some Strawberry Shortcake comics and Carbon bought a Super Hero Squad comic. He has trouble reading the fonts they use in the comics, but he's motivated and trying - the first time he's really done much independent reading. You can also create your own Super Hero Squad comic online - it's pretty fun. More about comics in a later post.

We've also started watching Star Trek: The Original Series as a family. It's streaming on netflix, and I love how it's bringing us together as a family to sit and do one episode a day. It's cutting into our bedtime reading time, but it's worth it. We are having so many good conversations around these old episodes, and I jokingly said we should do a "Star Trek Unit Study". Well, that sounded awesome to the kids! So I'm thinking about how to do that.

And then we had a tragedy this week: I had two tickets to the touring production of Spamalot, and I gave them to Carbon. He got to choose which parent he wanted to take with him, and he chose his dad "because I don't get to spend as much time with Daddy". We were all set, and he had watched YouTube clips to get ready, read the synopsis, and then I looked at the tickets and realized I had goofed up the date and the production had been LAST NIGHT. We totally missed it because I had it on the wrong date on the calendar - major tragedy. We were all terribly upset. That sucked, to say the least.



1 comment:

  1. Bummer about Spamalot. I imagine everyone was a bit heart hurt over it! Oh how I hate when stuff like that happens.

    We looove comics around here. They are the medium that brought me to reading and my son is following in my footsteps. He loves Super Hero Squad, and he is going to flip when he sees that comic creator website! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete