Saturday, October 16, 2010

Reading with the Kids

We are still enjoying some good children's literature around here!

In the car we've listened to the audio recording of The Birchbark House by Louise Erdrich. I've read some of Erdrich's adult fiction, and I like her work. I had no idea what this book was about when I saw it on the shelf at the library, but I'm very happy I picked it up. Much like Little House in the Big Woods, Erdrich spins a simple story of a year in the life of a family, centered around a somewhat spunky but intrinsically good young girl main character. Omakayas is every bit as lovable as Laura, and I would recommend that everyone read this book to give balance and the perspective of the Native Americans. There are sequels, and we will be listening to them too.

For Hypatia's bedtime story we reread Ivy and Bean: Doomed to Dance. We have read this from the library AND listened to it on audio, but she loved it so much that when I saw it at the local used bookstore I bought it. We read it again, and she still loves it. Ivy and Bean appeal to her very much, with their blend of naughty and dreamy and funny.

For Carbon's bedtime story we've read Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I was initially avoiding this book because it is about middle schoolers, and so I assumed it was best suited to be read by middle schoolers. But a friend's son said he loved it, so I got it from the library to see. In reality, this book is perfect for boys in the elementary ages. There is some talk about girls and being "macho", but it is very light and passes by practically unnoticed. Carbon loved the cartoons and Jeffrey's mishaps, and once again, we are going to be getting the sequels.

And I just got both kids library cards, so now we have a stack of picture and nonfiction books here to read. I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your thoughts on The Birchbark House. I downloaded it to my iPod this summer (free from the library) for a long drive. I also knew nothing about it, but was drawn to it. Loved it! I should put the sequels on our list.

    My son has read all of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books (although I was avoiding it at first too). They are great fun, and he has actually re-read some of them. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love the Wimpy Kid books! I'll have to check out The Birchbark House--it sounds perfect for us.

    ReplyDelete