Monday, March 1, 2010

Wrapping up my February One Small Change

For February, I took on the Small Change of reducing/eliminating my families use of disposable plastic.

I had a good example, from my friend Kate, who totally rocked this challenge. You should read her post if you want to see how well this can be done.

I didn't do as well as Kate, but I did learn a lot of lessons. The main lesson is that plastic is Freak'n EVERYWHERE in our lifestyle.

If you want to get away from the plastic cycle, you're going to have to:

1. Shop where you can use bulk bins, reuse your containers, and pass up many food items that only come in excess packaging. It will change the way you eat.

2. Stop getting carry-out food in styrofoam, and remember to bring your own reusable containers for leftovers at restaurants. Carry reusable cups if you want to be able to stop for coffee or other drinks.

3. Don't buy new things. Pretty much anything you buy will come with packaging around it.

4. Handwash at home instead of taking your clothes for drycleaning, to avoid those stupid plastic wardrobe bags.

5. All of this requires planning ahead, taking more time, and sometimes going without. That is hard work.

So what I learned is that this is hard, that it goes way beyond just having canvas bags with you when you go grocery shopping, and that I'm going to have to keep working on it.

For March, I'm going to tackle Transportation. I want to ride the bus more, ride my bike more, and practice simple old trip reduction. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. You're right, plastic is everywhere. It's scary. My February change was to cut out plastic water bottles. I did it! Hopefully I can cut out more plastic along my journey. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so true about plastic being everywhere! I have also learned a lot so far this year on how to avoid bringing more plastic into my life. I am taking it step by step, but we are making improvements!
    Good luck with your March change! Sounds like a positive and healthy change!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I hope you are having a very successful March so far!

    Make sure to stop by the One Small Change blog to enter into our latest giveaway and see what the community is up to!
    http://1smallchangeblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/giveaway-reusable-produce-bags.html

    We also started a face book fan page which can be accessed from the blog! :)

    Thanks!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete