Saturday, March 6, 2010

March Transportation challenge

kickin it at the bus station

On a nice day, it's not too much bother to ride the bus around town. We have a very nice bus system, and we purposefully bought a house near a busline. It does mean that I can't leave the kids one place while I do a meeting and then run back for them and zip them across town ... when you use the bus you need to have a simpler schedule that doesn't mean you run back and forth. That's probably a better way to live, anyway.


public transportation

We got on the bus, and the kids had to go to a lunch meeting for work with me (which was held at a very child-friendly cafe downtown and other people brought their kids too), and then we walked up the hill to the Childrens Museum where Carbon had a science class in the afternoon. Hypatia and I just hung out in the museum and waited for Carbon, and then we rode the bus home. I might have been tempted to leave him there and run home if I'd had a car, but this streamlined approach worked for public transit. We can do this - for us, for our community, and for our carbon-footprint!

not a bad day for a walk

3 comments:

  1. So true. Traveling by bus has improved my abilities in meal planning, knowing very clearly how many errands is TOO many, and being in the present moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a wimp when it comes to city driving, so public transportation allows me to take my kids places (museums, big libraries, etc.) I wouldn't want to drive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to see you using your city transportation! Way to go!!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete