Thursday, March 11, 2010

Love Library, Love Soup

love soup & love lentils

I love the library. I would hesitate to buy a new cookbook, because I can't tell if I like them until I actually cook something out of them. So it's fantastic that the library carries cookbooks, so I can give them a test run in the kitchen.

This is one I will buy: Love Soup is chockfull of vegetarian, and many vegan, recipes for soup that are organized by season so you should be able to find most of the ingredients at your local farmer's market. The book is now overdue, so I must return it, but so far I have made Green Lentil and Cumin soup, Red Lentil and Squash soup, and Neeps and Tatties (turnips and potatoes). All yummy.

Other books we've loved from the library recently:

Leviathan is steam punk (a term I had never heard before, but my husband grabbed it from me as soon as I brought it home from the library) which is a fusion of historical or alternative-historical fiction with punk fiction. In this tale, Prince Aleksander of Austria is launched into adventures and contact with the "Darwinists" after his parents are assasinated in an effort to start a World War. It is a fun and quick read - great for 9 and up.

The Tale of Tricky Fox by Jim Aylesworth. I am really becoming a fan of Aylesworth's sly humor. Very fun.

The Man Who Lived in A Hollow Tree ... he went on living, and living, and living, and living - right up until he died. If only we could all live that well, regardless of how long.

The Secret Life of Fairies just fed into Carbon's current fairy obsession wonderfully.


Thank you, local library system! Without you, our life would be greatly diminished.

No comments:

Post a Comment