Saturday, March 20, 2010

First Days of School

first day at school
This week Carbon did a "visiting week" at the Sudbury School we will be sending him to. The point of the visiting week was to test it out without any commitments, and make sure everyone would be happy with the match.

Carbon loves it, and is very positive about going to school there. Interestingly, he seems to have had the most difficulty adjusting to sharing, or not sharing, with other kids, being excluded by older kids who didn't want to play with him, and getting "written up" for Judicial Committee because he didn't clean up after himself.

I don't think it will really make my life any easier to have him there, however. What effort I save on planning playdates and social activities for Carbon, I make up on entertaining his bored and lonely little sister while he's gone. What I save on doing homeschool lessons, I lose on afterschooling (more on that later) and on packing lunches and driving him to and from school.

But this isn't about me, of course. Do we think this school is the best place for him? Is it better than homeschooling the way we can do it? Is it better than being with a nanny while I work? Is it better than going to work with me during the day?

Yes. It is. And he loves it there, which is probably the most important thing of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment