Friday, October 21, 2011

What I'm Doing in Portland

This week I had to find a volunteer substitute to fill my role at church on Sunday morning. I had to go into church on my day off to set out materials in all the classrooms, with little notes "set up for Sunday classes - PLEASE DO NOT MOVE", and just hope for the best. Then the next day I had to drive 2 hours each way to go drop off my children and dogs with my wonderful sweet mother who is watching them all for me this week. There were other loose ends to tie up; other people I needed to ask favors of so I could leave town for a few days. Why, oh why, I think, do I ever try to get away? It's so darn much work.


Then I got a taxi to the train station, and a train down to Portland. I'm attending the Liberal Religious Educators Association (LREDA) Fall Conference. A gathering of 200 wonderful folks (not all women), who do this same work I do. I also signed up for an additional two days of training in Youth Ministry, and that training had a 120 page reader that was emailed to me last Thursday and I had to have it all read before I arrived.

It's work, but it's good work; the kind of work that educates, renews, refreshes, and re-inspires. I have so many ideas jotted down, and more energy to get home and get back to it.

And ... a plug for the train. That was my first time riding it, and it is the Most Relaxing travel I have ever done. No crazy-making security and sardine can claustrophobia. No road-rage or blindness. Just me and a comfy seat, a cup of coffee I bought in the dining car, passing lovely scenery - and that reader I needed to finish before I arrived.

I hope to find time to take the train somewhere again! I think the kids would love it.


<span class=IMG_0485">

<span class=IMG_0486">

1 comment:

  1. I love the train, especially on the West Coast. It's so relaxing!

    ReplyDelete