Monday, January 31, 2011

Reflecting on the month

IMG_3760

I can't believe one month of 2011 is already gone. But it is time to flip the page on the calendar, and put this one to bed.

January had all kinds of energy for making a clean sweep, reorganizing and cleaning our physical space and establishing new routines for the whole family. The home clean-up isn't all done, (will it ever be?) but we made great strides. The biggest change has been in the routines, and in a general shift toward a more egalitarian home. My husband has stepped up admirably to the challenge of doing more around the house and encouraging the kids to also do more. I don't know where the shift really came from - was it a change in me or in him? - but we are sharing responsibility and work much better than I think we ever have before.

At work, January was not a particularly busy month, but it was also not very well balanced. I ended up working weeks on end without a single complete day off, and that habit is not good for mental and spiritual well-being. I need a day when I can just take off that "hat" and really stop thinking about work. To try and fix that, I am switching my "Day Off" from Fridays to Mondays, to see if that works better. Unfortunately, I'm booked at work for the next four Monday nights in a row, but I'm going to try in the future to keep the evening also free from work and make Monday my Sabbath Day.

It's been a month of adjusting attitudes and trying to let go of "stuff", both physical and habitual. So far, so good, but the month still left me feeling exhausted and worn down. I think I should turn my attention next to the notion of what I need "More" of to feel strong, healthy, and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment