Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Happy Birthday to him

DSCF4078

Today is my husband's birthday. Over time, I've learned that he doesn't want the same things from a birthday that I do. Presents should be simple and small, unless it's some big splurge he buys for himself. He doesn't really need a cake, but I bake one anyway because the kids love birthday cake. I've planned parties for him before, and it's not worth it - he doesn't like the fuss. A small dinner out at a nice restaurant, just family, and the chance to go out for drinks with one or two people - that's all he wants.

And I've learned not to make him breakfast in bed. He'd rather be left alone in the morning, and ideally sleep in.

I try to remember to love him and celebrate him the way he wants, not the way I would want. The golden rule (do unto others as you would have them do unto you) doesn't always apply - especially to marriage. Do unto others as they will like.


No comments:

Post a Comment