Thursday, July 29, 2010

Summer time, and the living is ...

Each year, as I approach "summer time", I imagine that I will get so much done. I will: paint, catch up on my reading list, do tons of home repairs, go camping, take a trip, do craft projects, and also rest and relax and feel no sense of rush.

That is the myth of summer, that it is a vast open field of unhurried time in which I will attain all the goals I've been unable to reach during the regular church year. It is not the reality, and each summer I've come crashing up against that reality.

Summer is a finite resource. There is only so much time, and the list of things to do is too large to all fit in there. Perhaps I should be more realistic about what I plan to get done.

Which is why I set my alarm clock for 6am yesterday so I could do this:

'summer

freshen up

And there is plenty more to do! The song should be, "summer time, and the living is



time sensitive if you want to use the sunny weather for necessary tasks before the rainy season starts again... "

Actually, no, it's more fun to sing it the real way while still working hard. At least in my mind I'm in summer mode.





2 comments:

  1. Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks she can get more accomplished in a summer than is humanly possible. Let's take a deep breath, and enjoy what's left of it - sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one with a mythical version of summer.

    ReplyDelete