Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sibling love

They said they didn't miss each other. Each of them, separately, commented that they were happy to not have the sibling with them on their trip/visit to Grandma. And yet when they were reunited (and after the boy got over jet lag and I was rested enough to put the screen time limits back in place around here) they can spend all day long playing together. Fighting also, but mostly playing and enjoying each other's company.

outdoor play

I often think about the sibling bond. I felt so close to my brother growing up, but we are not so close as adults. My other siblings were much younger than I, so that made the relationship different - too much of a power and authority imbalance.

And yet, I would let any of them move into my house with me. I know they would be there for me if I needed them. Someday, we will have to work together to care for our aging parents. If anything happened to me and my husband, it would be one of our siblings that would care for our children. We share more of our DNA with our siblings than with anyone else.

And a sibling can drive you so amazingly crazy! It can seem like there is only so much love, approval, and respect to go around in the world and your sibling can seem like the main competition for those limited resources. Or they can just be plain irritating, like having to spend too much time focused on your own worst traits.

The bond that never goes away. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment