Sunday, July 25, 2010

Our tourist days in Budapest

at Hero's Square

Our days in Budapest were hot - about 106 F! But we still took a bus tour to Castle Hill and Hero's Square (shown). The tour guide was very good, but we were still happy to ditch the group and set off on our own. The Rick Steve's guidebook was wonderful and wonderfully helpful, and Carbon and I had read it as bedtime reading for the last couple nights so he could pick what he would want to see. He chose the National History Museum, which was nice and cool in that hot weather and fulfilled his twin desires: see a statue of Augustus Caesar and see lots of medieval weapons.

The metro system was easy to use and everyone was friendly and helpful. By the end of our trip, I was feeling capable of navigating in a city where I couldn't speak the language and found the money hard to grasp. I'm not quite ready to set off backpacking or hitchhiking around the world, but I did overcome some of my fear of traveling.

My husband would love it if I got the travel bug. So, next year it will have to be Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment