How it's been going:
- I am happy eating vegetarian at restaurants, but my husband is not. He is just not going to honor this pledge when he's not in the house.
- The first week I made way to many meals with heavy dairy (mac and cheese, enchiladas, pizza) and I ended up with a horrible painful stomach ache from my lactose intolerance.
- I bought frozen meat from a local farm, and my husband was very sweetly making me breakfast when he suddenly realized that the bacon cost more than $1 a slice. It shook him up.
- Now that we can't stop for fast food, I've embraced the concept of peanut butter and jelly sandwichs for dinner on nights we are busy and running around.
- Breakfast for dinner is pretty appealing when you are swimming in eggs as your main protein source.
- My husband brought home frozen steaks that he bought from a coworker who has family that ranch. He also made dinner with those steaks and asparagus, so I was very happy to see him get involved in the effort. He had asked all about how the cows were treated and we are talking about buying a quarter cow from them and making room for it in our freezer.
- Beans require planning ahead, but then they are good. Slow-cookers were invented for people who want to eat beans.
- Our dog has been very happy, because eating this way we have had more bones than we did from supermarket cuts. Ham hocks, steak bones - she's in doggy heaven chewing on those.
We can do this. We can eat this way, live this way, and just be in better touch with where our food comes from.