Monday, April 19, 2010

Our mindful meat-eater efforts

This month we made the pledge that we would try to only eat meat raised ethically and organically, and we'd cut back on the amount of meat we eat.

How it's been going:

  • I am happy eating vegetarian at restaurants, but my husband is not. He is just not going to honor this pledge when he's not in the house.
  • The first week I made way to many meals with heavy dairy (mac and cheese, enchiladas, pizza) and I ended up with a horrible painful stomach ache from my lactose intolerance.
  • I bought frozen meat from a local farm, and my husband was very sweetly making me breakfast when he suddenly realized that the bacon cost more than $1 a slice. It shook him up.
  • Now that we can't stop for fast food, I've embraced the concept of peanut butter and jelly sandwichs for dinner on nights we are busy and running around.
  • Breakfast for dinner is pretty appealing when you are swimming in eggs as your main protein source.
  • My husband brought home frozen steaks that he bought from a coworker who has family that ranch. He also made dinner with those steaks and asparagus, so I was very happy to see him get involved in the effort. He had asked all about how the cows were treated and we are talking about buying a quarter cow from them and making room for it in our freezer.
  • Beans require planning ahead, but then they are good. Slow-cookers were invented for people who want to eat beans.
  • Our dog has been very happy, because eating this way we have had more bones than we did from supermarket cuts. Ham hocks, steak bones - she's in doggy heaven chewing on those.

We can do this. We can eat this way, live this way, and just be in better touch with where our food comes from.

4 comments:

  1. You can do it :) After watching Food, Inc. we also pledged to only eat ethically and organically raised meat. Due to cost, we are also eating more vegetarian meals. Breakfast for dinner is always a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 15-year-old daughter just decided to become a vegetarian, and I've resolved not to buy meat that wasn't humanely raised. It sounds like you're doing really well -- that's inspiring. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are making small changes in this direction as well. We have managed to find beef, buffalo, and chicken from local sources. We are finding it more challenging to find fresh seafood as we are inland, but are going to try to find a source and use a chest freezer. Every small step is a victory on the longer journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite breakfast for dinner meals is what I call an egg burrito. Grill up the tortilla with a bit of cheese, fry the egg, and then put it in the tortilla with some salsa and avocado. Easy.

    I have a cookbook I made of easy veggie stuff. If you email me at suevanhattum on hotmail, I'll send it to you. I don't cook much, but I like to eat yummy, healthy food.

    I was vegetarian for 19 years, until my son's craving for chicken made me decide to give it up. I only eat meat from well-treated animals.

    Your husband may be interested in knowing that people in Europe spend a much higher percentage of their income on food. But wait - a dollar a slice?! I don't think my bacon costs that much...

    ReplyDelete