Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Weekly Book Post (Casual Vacancy, Talking Back to Facebook)

Book pile

My TBR pile got a little out of control!  Sometimes all my holds from the library come in at once and I get .... this!

This week I read The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling.  I wouldn't have read it, based on reviews and the jacket description, if I wasn't curious because of the author.  It has to be hard to shift genres after you become so famous in one, and overall it's a fine piece of literature.  I don't really like this realistic "if you only knew what was going on behind all the closed doors and in everyone's heads" sorts of novels, in fact I find them sad and depressing in the way they point to all the misunderstandings and small human cruelties/tragedies, but I still found myself drawn to finish the book.  I know people who really like the book, and others who really dislike it, and now I'm saying "meh, it was OK" - mixed reviews all around.

I also read Talking Back to Facebook: the Common Sense Guide to Raising Kids in a Digital Age.  This is a very current book, so it will probably be out-of-date soon as the technology and culture develop further, but for now it is a good overview for parents who are wondering if they should let their kids have facebook accounts or cellphones, surf YouTube videos or have computers in their bedrooms. The first part of the book is an overview of the "RAP" on digital media (relationships, addiction, privacy) and then the second half has specific recommendations by age of your child.

Now I need to get onto reading the rest of that big pile!

No comments:

Post a Comment