Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

Rather than just take a day off, I wanted to mark the day as a day of remembering.


DSCF9104

It took a bit of coaxing to get my family out in the rain to go look at war memorials, but they did it.

DSCF9114

We read the signs, discussed each of the wars and their memorials, talked about those in our own family and those we have known who have died in war, and saw the others marking the day in some way - like this fellow in WWII get-up at the WWII memorial.

My husband thanked me for getting the family out to do this.  He was thinking of his own fallen comrades in our latest, long and ongoing wars - which do not yet have a memorial for us to visit.

DSCF9106

There was a moderately large gathering, of mostly motorcycle club members, at the Vietnam Memorial.  We could hear their speeches and music across the campus, and then they played taps while we were in the WWII memorial.  I found it haunting.


DSCF9121

I think we might do it again next year, but bring flowers for the kids to put out.

We Remember.


1 comment:

  1. I really love this. I think we may do this next year, too.

    ReplyDelete