Thursday, October 11, 2012

The daily juggle

IMG_1141

Here is a fact about homeschooling while working full-time: it's a serious juggling act at times.  I'm really fortunate to be able to do this at all, and I'm not complaining, but sometimes I get very very tired.
 I find it important to use the time I do have with efficiency.

A sampling:

Taking the book-learning to the car dealership while the car was getting an oil change.

Mending the girl's special blanket poolside as the kids had their swim lesson.

Writing thank you cards for work while in the bleachers for the kids' gymnastics class.

Having the kids watch a history documentary while I'm doing office hours at church.

Reading about conflict management while running on the treadmill at the YMCA during the kids' PE class.

IMG_1142

But it's not good practice to always be multitasking.  There is this idea of "balcony time", or time spent in big picture contemplation.  I really can't get that done with the kids hanging close by, or in a place full of distractions (like home or my office, frankly).  And so I try to get some time to myself once a week while a friend watches my kids, and I actually sit and just do one thing at a time.





No comments:

Post a Comment