Saturday, October 6, 2012

Letting Myself Feel Sad

DSCF7693

My grandparents died yesterday.  I knew they were dying, they had been put in hospice care, and I visited them a few weeks ago.  My mother called me this week to say they were worse and that she was flying back to be with them again.

So I knew.  I said goodbye.  I made my peace with it.

It was their time.  They were sick.  Living was no longer a blessing to them, as they found themselves unable to really do anything they enjoyed anymore and instead managed pain and disability and helplessness.  They had lived their full and loving lives, and they managed to die on the same day so neither had time to grieve for the other.  What a blessing that was to them, for they were a very close and devoted couple.

It was their time.

And yet I am sad.

And I will just be sad, for this is the time for sadness.

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. Even when you make peace with it, it is still a loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that you are supported in your sadness by loving arms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear of your loss. Be gentle with yourself. I agree it was a blessing they were able to pass on the same day. A beautiful ending (or, new beginning) for a devoted couple. Take care, and I'll be sending healing thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete