Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Homeschool Field Trips

Now that I've got the kids homeschooling again, I know I need to network with other homeschooling families to provide the "social network" that will be healthy for me and them. (Although the church is a great community for me, I'm trying to play it safe with the "don't put all your eggs in one basket" principle).

So I found a "Meetup" group that is for homeschoolers in two counties, one of which is mine, and has A LOT of members. This group is also very active, with multiple events each week that you could RSVP to and a diverse membership interested in lots of different things. I'm very hopeful that this will be a great way to meet other homeschool families, although the spread out geography is a downside.

Today was our first group field trip, and it was good. The group was too big to really jump in and "get to know" anyone, but just eyeballing folks and making snap judgments about them told me that this is a pretty diverse group and that while they may not all be "my people", I'm not going to feel like a freak in the group, either.

We met for a school group tour at a local farm and cider mill. It was lovely fun for the kids.


DSCF5198

DSCF5190

Our next event will be a "Math Salon". I really am hopeful about this group!

1 comment:

  1. That looks like so much fun! I'm glad you found a good group outside your church.

    ReplyDelete