Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Great Cola Taste Test

This started over a discussion of whether Coke from Mexico (or Europe), which is made with real sugar, tastes better than the Coke in the US, which is made with high fructose corn syrup. Carbon swore he could taste the difference, and as we tend to do, we planned a special event around that. It's taken me a long time to remember to actually buy all the sodas needed, but tonight we finally had our blind taste test, to see if they really could taste the difference in their colas.


DSCF5232

There were five types to sample, and I arranged them in shot glasses so no one would know which was which (except for me, so I didn't get to do the taste test).

DSCF5233
DSCF5235

They did pick the right sample as being the Pepsi, but the rest were pretty mixed up. My husband complained that it didn't take long before his palate was just so overloaded by cola that he couldn't taste anything. The kids got silly because they were having too much fun drinking out of shot glasses. I tried so hard not to break my poker face, but they were SO WRONG about the Mexican Coke that it really challenged me. In the end, they did separate out the fancy high-end colas from the Coca-Colas, but they never picked right for Mexican Coke versus US Coke.

So, our experiment shows that he can't actually taste the difference. :) Can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment