Sunday, July 22, 2012
Picture Books for the First Principle
All this summer we are doing a reading program at church, and trying to tie the picture books we read into our 7 Principles.
The first of the UU 7 Principles is the inherent worth and dignity of all, which the children initially learn as respect everyone.
Here are the picture books I have found to go with this principle:
1. The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss
2. Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae and Guy Parker-Rees
3. Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco
4. The Rag Coat by Lauren Mills
5. Momma, Where are You From? by Marie Bradbury
6. My Princess Boy by Cheryl Kilodavis
7. Everybody Cooks Rice by Norah Dooley
There are more books organized the Principles here.
And, as our 1st Principle is very much tied into anti-bias work, there is a list of recommended picture books for anti-bias education here.