Friday, September 13, 2013

Weekly Book Post: Zomo the Rabbit and Finding Nouf

DSCF9852

Reading is getting pretty exciting around here, as my second "reluctant" or "late blooming" reader is finding her way into reading and loving it!

Both the kids discovered a fun book at the library this week, and have read it over and over again: Zomo the Rabbit by Gerald McDermott is a trickster tale with a twist.  My kids think I should tell it in church sometime in my role as storyteller.  They want me to recommend it to all of you.


DSCF9851

Meanwhile, I read Finding Nouf by Zoe Ferraris last week.  It's an interesting mystery, set in Saudi Arabia.  When a rich sixteen year old girl goes missing and her family suspects she ran away into the desert, they hire their desert guide to search for her.  When she turns up dead, a conflicted mix of emotions drives him to keep investigating.  Along the way he is joined in the search by a female medical examiner, which challenges his traditional notions of women.

I read it because it was on a list of overlooked good books on NPR, and it was good.  It wasn't great ... there were some awkward scenes, a somewhat predictable and anticlimactic ending.  But ultimately, for a first novel this is solid and I would read more of her books if I have time in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment