Wednesday, December 7, 2011

museum day

IMG_0529

Our homeschool meet-up group had a field trip to the art museum today, with the museum staff doing their school field-trip package for us. That meant a guided discussion and walk through the folk-art of Mexico gallery and then another discussion around a picture book they read to the group, and then a hands-on art project in the style of the folk art the kids had seen - over all it was a pretty good plan, and the kids had fun.

I'd never done an art museum with a guide and a large group of kids though, and it was pretty funny seeing the anxiety level around them touching things. The museum staff were very cautious and concerned about any sort of touching. I can understand that, of course, but it's pretty hard to enjoy the art and be that anxious and stressed out at the same time. I wonder if they get that anxious over bigger school groups (we were only 14 kids) or if it was the youngness of our group (all under 8 years old down to toddlers)? Or maybe they are just always worried.

Carbon was disappointed that we only saw the one gallery, but thrilled with the hands-on project. Hypatia was just tired (she woke up at 4 am this morning and never went back to sleep, so she and I had plenty of excuse to be less than our best today).

After the museum, I treated them to a lunch at the Old Spaghetti Factory. The gluten-free menu there is a nice treat for us, and the kids love the atmosphere and the fact that we can sit in an antique streetcar while we eat.


IMG_0530

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a nice day, in spite of the nervous museum staff! I hate it when museum guards watch me while I'm trying to look at the exhibit--it's so distracting!

    I miss the Spaghetti Factory! I loved that place as a kid! Too bad we don't have one around here.

    ReplyDelete