Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Half-Way There Reading Challenge Review

reading post

As of the end of June, half of my 2014 reading year is up.  How am I doing on my 14 x 14 in 2014 Reading Challenge?


One Category Finished: Children's Lit

What fourteen children's books did I read (with my kids)?


  1. Children's Lit
    1. Squire by Tamora Pierce
    2. Lady Knight by Tamora Pierce
    3. The Burning Bridge by John Flanagan
    4. The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
    5. The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander
    6. A Dog Called Homeless by Sarah Lean
    7. Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo
    8. The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
    9. Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan
    10. Shadow of the Serpent by Rick Riordan
    11. Summer of the Gypsy Moths by Sara Pennypacker
    12. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood
    13. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Hidden Gallery by Maryrose Wood
    14. The Icebound Land by John Flanagan
Of these, my favorites were The One and Only Ivan  and Summer of the Gypsy Moths, both because they were about real life issues of home, independence, and relationships and both because they were heartfelt without being too maudlin.  A Dog Called Homeless was also very heartfelt (and it made me cry while I read it out loud) but it was a bit too obvious in its emotional manipulations.  Flora and Ulysses was quirky and adorable, and a really fun book that had us all saying what is this book about?  What is going on!? but in a good way.  The Incorrigible Children series is great silly fun and a great vocabulary builder - it's one of those books that uses the big words and then also explains what they mean to the kids but it makes sense and doesn't break up the flow of the narrative.  The rest on the list were also good, but pretty standard fantasy adventure fare.  Not that I don't enjoy fantasy adventure - I do!  

One Category Half-Finished (so on track, I guess): Books Made Into Movies 

  1. Books Made Into Movies
    1. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    2. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
    3. Horns by Joe Hill
    4. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (*double dipper)
    5. Divergent by Veronica Roth
    6. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell *(double dipper)
    7. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
This turns out to be a diverse collection - lots of different sorts of books get made into movies!  I'm also trying to watch the movies after I read the books, but I haven't seen the newest (not available on netflix yet) from this list. I did not like the adaptation of Ender's Game into a movie - the book was much better.  I did like the adaptation of Cloud Atlas (a crazy book to even try to adapt into a movie!) and the movie of The Old Man and the Sea is so faithful to the book I could say lines out loud right before the narrator said them on the movie.  Oh - and I watch both versions of Great Gatsby.  Gotta go with Robert Redford on this one!

None of the other categories are on track, although many are very close at either five or six books read:

1.  Religion, Ethics, Philosophy, and Spirituality
2.  Self-Improvement and Lifestyle
3.  Work Related
4.  Science and Psychology
5.  History
6.  Just for Fun Reads

And then some are really trailing at only 3 or 4 books read:

1.  Parenting
2.  Women's Studies
3.  Poetry
4.  Books to Read Before You Die
5.  My Favorite Detectives
6.  Around the World, in Alphabetical Order

For the full lists, you can look at my Challenge Page.   OK - enough blogging, I need to get back to reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment