Thursday, June 27, 2013

Mornings

DSCF9164

I simply have to rise early.  It is the foundation of our whole day, as a family, what I do in the early mornings.  Morning chores, morning spiritual practice, morning stretching and sipping of coffee, or today early morning blogging - it's very true that if you want to make sure something happens, do it first thing in the morning.

My morning routine begins immediately with putting the kettle on.  Then, after personal bio needs are met, I set about unloading the dishwasher and frequently start a load of laundry.  Yesterday's coffee grounds need to go in the worm bin, and frequently worm compost tea needs to be drained out.  Worm tea gets mixed with water and I go out to water my plants with it.  It's the same routine every morning.  I could almost do it in my sleep.  Maybe I am asleep. :)  Then the kids need to be roused, and they need to head out to do their morning chores: feed goats, chickens, and turkeys, collect eggs, dump kitchen compost in the bin.

Time allowing, I get a tiny bit of personal study or reflection or spiritual practice time then.

From that foundation, I can usually face the variable nature of each day.  If lunches need to be packed, I can do that.  If we are doing a big school day at home, we can begin.  If we are leaving the house, we can load the car.

But it's all a house of cards.  I need to rise early.

No comments:

Post a Comment