Saturday, March 31, 2012
Thursday, March 29, 2012
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Monday, March 26, 2012
Saturday, March 24, 2012
Friday, March 23, 2012
Thursday, March 22, 2012
Tuesday, March 20, 2012
Monday, March 19, 2012
Saturday, March 17, 2012
Friday, March 16, 2012
Thursday, March 15, 2012
Wednesday, March 14, 2012
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Saturday, March 10, 2012
The 4 implicit beliefs that need to be made explicit:
1) We believe that by being together in community we learn best and love best.
2) We believe that there is the potential for good in each person.
3) We believe that we can trust the inner voice of our hearts and make decisions using reason and compassion.
4) We believe that choosing is the essential religious act.
The 20th century Unitarian theologian James Luther Adams called it the "Five Smooth Stones of Religious Liberalism":
- "Religious liberalism depends on the principle that 'revelation' is continuous." Our religious tradition is a living tradition because we are always learning new truths.
- "All relations between persons ought ideally to rest on mutual, free consent and not on coercion." We freely choose to enter into relationship with one another.
- "Religious liberalism affirms the moral obligation to direct one's effort toward the establishment of a just and loving community. It is this which makes the role of the prophet central and indispensable in liberalism." Justice.
- "... [W]e deny the immaculate conception of virtue and affirm the necessity of social incarnation." Agency: Good things don't just happen, people make them happen.
- "[L]iberalism holds that the resources (divine and human) that are available for the achievement of meaningful change justify an attitude of ultimate optimism." Hope.
"Each of Us is Elected"
"All of Us are Loved Beyond Belief"
"No One is Left Behind"
So what do UU's believe? Who are we? We are the people who uphold the worth of all, believing that all are born with the possibility of good. We are the people who believe that if we come together in community and covenant, we can create a better world, in this life, on this beloved planet. We believe that everyone should be free to choose.
I find these beliefs very powerful. We may be of differing opinions about what will happen after death, but we know what to do in this life.
Friday, March 9, 2012
Thursday, March 8, 2012
Wednesday, March 7, 2012
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Monday, March 5, 2012
Saturday, March 3, 2012
Friday, March 2, 2012
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”